Thursday 11 August 2016

Beth Chatto Gardens, Clacton Rd, Elmstead, Elmstead Market, Colchester CO7 7DB

I have wanted to come to the Beth Chatto Gardens for a while but for some reason its taken us three years to get there. It's a garden that was started in 1960 on overgrown wasteland and is now surely one of the most beautiful gardens in East Anglia. You can read all about the story of the garden on the website here:

http://www.bethchatto.co.uk

The Gardens are a 15 minute drive from Colchester Town and there is huge free car park on arrival. I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but the place was much more professional looking than I thought, almost like a National Trust place! A smart shop and cafe (slightly over priced I thought and they should really invest in a decent coffee machine) and a huge selection of plants for sale. My only niggle was that we hadn't gone on a sunnier day! If the sun had been out we could have taken some much better photos! Entrance costs £6.95 per adult and you can stay all day. It's a beautiful place and well worth an explore.








No comments:

Post a Comment