Friday 20 July 2012

Audley End, Saffron Walden, Essex

I still haven't quite worked out how to go to the toilet regularly with this here baby. Its fine if he's asleep in the moses basket but more often lately he only tends to sleep during the day indoors if he is draped over my shoulder like a sort of hot, snuffling parrot or strapped onto me in the BabyBjorn. Both of these positions are excellent for his sleep and my hearing since he doesn't tend to scream while asleep, but not terribly practical for (my) bodily functions. Mind you with my current diet my bodily excretions have virtually ceased to exist. His on the other hand are a constant point of interest and intrigue. Is he doing too many? Is he doing too little? Is the colour ok? And how about the texture? (gag) It's happened, I have become obsessed with nappy contents. To be fair though, there's not a lot else going on round here at the moment. When we first brought the baby home we were keeping a log (no pun intended) of all feed times and amounts and all movements. I don't know why. I don't know who would be remotely interested but I think as new parents its probably quite normal to do this kind of thing isn't it? Oh it isn't...oh...

7:20am - Wake up, nappy change, number 1.
7:45am - Snooze.
9:30am - Wake up, feed.
9:40am - Massive blow off, nappy change, medium number 2, snooze.
11am - Wake up, nappy change, number 1, snooze
12:46pm - Wake up, medium sized number 2, wee'd on me, feed, snooze.
1:20pm - Wake up, dry nappy, hands in mouth, crying, feed, snooze.
4:30pm - Wake up, tiny number 2, feed, snooze.

Repeat to fade. Or for 3 days after which we abandoned our log. At least it will be something else to stick in his baby book.

Luckily however, I have a few people that I can discuss such matters with. The less Googling the better in my opinion. This week some of the NCT girls came round for a hot drink and biscuit which was very nice and a great way to compare and contrast baby movements in all senses of the word. My other friend also popped round with her baby who is 2 weeks older than mine. They were exactly the same size, she said mine was heavy and had a big head (rude) and now I have something else to obsess about. Is he too big? Am I feeding him too much? Has he got giantism? I fear that life as a parent will continue along this theme forever. I really didn't think I would be this kind of mother, I actually thought I was quite a laid back character! Ha! That's a joke. But not a funny one.

Just because we have a new member of our household, doesn't mean we can't retain some sort of normality though. A life beyond nappies and paranoia. Whereas I am still in shock about how I have been plucked out of my normal existence and placed in a completely alien world, the Wig is far more relaxed about things. This may be as his day to day life hasn't changed as much as mine. He still goes to work, can pop out for lunch with ease, can go out after work for a "quick" drink with friends, he can at least have a crap whenever he wants. Luxury!! Anyway, I digress. The Wig is relaxed, so much so that when baby was 3 weeks old, we took a trip out on Fathers Day to Audley End, Saffron Walden. (He was their youngest ever visitor apparently. I was very proud. I've no idea why).




Audley End is a beautiful stately home in the motherland ie Essex and really is worth a visit. It's not cheap to get in if you aren't a member of English Heritage (we are not and it was £13 per adult) but there's quite a lot of house to see and loads of grounds and gardens to roam around in. If its a nice day I would suggest taking a picnic rather than paying to go to the cafe which was very busy and had a very limited menu. The day we went, there was the added bonus of a vintage car show and surprisingly enough, my Pao was there! Not the actual one but another one. It got me old choked up. It really doesn't take much.





I love day trips like these and think its because when I was little my Dad used to take us all over the place to museums, castles, stately homes, gardens etc and I hope that we will be the same with our little one. Probably like me, he wont appreciate it at the time and whinge about it (when he has learnt to whinge) but one day he will realise it was a nice thing to do and be grateful.

With this in mind, I really want to re-visit Bekonscot Model Village in Buckinghamshire. Our Grandparents used to take us there when we were kids and I am hoping to re-create this photo with our baby when he gets a bit bigger. I think it would be AWESOME. Yes, I just said awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment