Monday 13 February 2012

David Shrigley Exhibition at The Hayward Gallery

Well, that didn't really work did it? My attempt at reader interaction was a resounding flop. I can see how many people read the entry but only one person offered an opinion on my 'Free Lunch' dilemma. So Nurse Nicola of Wimbledon, you win the March Hare Secret prize (tbc) and I shall be declining the offer of the complimentary meal at the Restaurant with the chipped crockery. I shall also never attempt to start a reader forum, the silent void was too heart breaking.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Has Spring Sprung? Its hard to tell with this odd weather we are currently experiencing, but Saturday's sunshine was glorious. After a particularly short Yoga session on Saturday morning (even our teacher couldn't be arsed to face the arctic conditions this week so the class was taken by a replacement teacher who made us chant and swizzed us out of 15 minutes of our relaxation / nap time!), The Wig and I went to the Southbank.


Best Tube line EVER. The 'secret' Waterloo + City Line that goes between Bank and Waterloo as you can see. It takes about 5 mins to get right round to he other side of London! Sweet.


Beautiful Festival Hall.


Not sure what this ship is for, how it got up there or what it's doing.


I love this logo and typeface.


Horrid signs in front of an awesome building.


Parkour Man / Stupid show off.  Not really, I'm just jealous that he can jump and I can't.

My kind and generous friend had bought me some tickets to the David Shrigley Exhibition at the Hayward gallery hence our little jaunt out across the river. I think David Shrigley really is having the last laugh as far as art is concerned because it's so simplistic. For example, if I had presented my Art Teacher any of his painting's for my GCSE Coursework I know I would have been kicked off the course. But his pieces are so 'witty' that he gets away with it. I've never been to an exhibition before and heard so much laughter. It really was a great way to spend an hour and I would definitely recommend everyone / anyone to go. As we had tickets already we were able to walk straight in but the queue for tickets on the door went all the way round the corner of the Gallery. Probably best to book ahead basically but you better do it soon, its only on until 13th May.




Outside the Hayward Gallery.


Shrigley Stickman on roof.

Basically, we loved it. We loved it so much in fact that we spent some of the bump's 'Pram' money on a Shrigley Limited Edition Print which has gone straight into storage as we have no wall space left. Sorry bump but you'll forgive us one day when its worth millions...please be worth millions...


After last week's Lemon Curd experiment I found myself a bit snowed under with the stuff but luckily some friends came round yesterday and we were able to relieve ourselves of some of it. Unlike other home made jars of food it only last 2 weeks so you have to shift it as soon as you can. Not only did they take some home with them, we also made a Lemon Meringue Pie. Lemon Curd really is the gift that keeps on giving, so may I present to you my second Lemon Meringue Pie in a year . I made the first pie when my brother came over from Sydney last February:


(Cheats) Lemon Meringue Pie

Shopping List:

Half a jar of Homemade Lemon Curd (you could probably use shop bought though it wont be as nice).
3 x Large Egg Whites
100g Caster Sugar
Shop Bought pasty case (CHEAT! Sorry, lazy I know)

*Preheat the oven to around 170C.
* Place pastry case on a baking sheet.
* Spoon the Lemon Curd evenly onto the pastry case.


* Whisk up the egg whites until stiff, then gradually add the sugar, whisking continuously.
*When the egg and sugar mix forms stiff peaks, evenly spoon on top of the Lemon Curd.


* Place the pie in the oven and check after 20 minutes.
* The pie is ready when the meringue is crunchy and has a light brown tinge.
* Serve warm.


EASY PEASY! 

6 comments:

  1. gosh...was working hence I never read about ....restaurant issue!
    I think his letter was rude but I dont think he would have realised this as this is obviously naturally his attitude. The response was far too bon aime and not at all professional but I do know if I was you I would never darken the doorstep again as I could never enjoy it...find somewhere else and forget about it...xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I concur. There's are plenty of other places I could go to if I want to get spoken to like an idiot. I don't need to go to his restuarant for that privilege x x

      Delete
  2. Hello just came across your blog via netmums , you have taken me back in time . I lived in London for 18 very happy years and all the places (which I remember so well)has made me feel tremendously nostalgic . Thankyou !x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Thank you for your comment, I'm glad to be of service! You cant beat London in the sun x x

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the lovely photos, even if they do make me feel terribly homesick! The lemon meringue pie looks fabulous as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel too homesick. 2012 has been flat, grey, snowy and miserable on all other days so far so has looked awful. This was the one nice day of the year xx

      Delete